Are visitors allowed during the program?
- No. Given the collegiate rigor of Summer Scholars, there is not much time for distractions. This program is also intended to be a fully-immersed college life experience.
Are the program credits transferable to other universities or high schools?
- Yes. The college credit offered by Summer Scholars is transferable. However, as it is with all educational institutions, credits are not guaranteed to transfer seamlessly in all scenarios. It falls to the discretion of the other institution whether to accept or reject the transfer.
Do I need to take the SAT or ACT test before I can apply to Summer Scholars?
- No. It is not required, though if you have taken them you are encouraged to report them.
Are there scholarships available?
- Yes. They are of two kinds: merit-based and need-based.
Where will I live?
- Eagle Hall – the newest residential building on Eastern University’s main campus in St. Davids, PA.
Can I pay in installments?
- Yes. You don’t need to pay the cost in one full sum. You will be expected to have paid the final amount before the financial deadline (see “Dates & Deadlines” page of the Summer Scholars Program for more information).
Do I need to bring “spending” money?
- You can. The cost of the program includes all books, meals, travel expenses and the rest, so there will not be any further expenses that would prevent full participation and success in this program. There will be one or two opportunities to spend during off-campus events if you would prefer to have some cash at hand.
Should I bring a laptop?
- If you can. There will be regular homework. Computer labs and the university library will be available to you during the regular hours of operation. However, many students find it helpful to have a laptop for working late into the evenings.
Do I need to bring my own bedding and toiletries?
Is there any time for leisure?
- Yes. Each day students will be given a modest amount of leisure, which some use to relax, others to catch up on work. Many end up using it to continue conversations begun in the classroom.
Do I have to be a Christian in order to attend?
- No. You don’t need to be. Though it should be understood that we will be dealing openly with topics that would concern a person of faith (or one trying to understand faith).
- I am a past student of the Summer Scholars Program applying to college(s). How do I request a transcript for the credits I earned at SSP?
- Fill out a Transcript Request Form through the Office of the Registrar at Eastern University. The registrar handles all matters pertaining to academic transcripts.